Tips for Care
Jewelry, like all things, is subject to wear and tear and requires occasional maintenance - metals tarnish; get scratched, dented or break with an unintended, well-placed impact; gemstones can be chipped and broken if care is not taken. Each piece of jewelry is individual and needs to be cared for differently. But in general you can avoid damaging your jewelry by following these practices:
· Never wear jewelry in chlorinated water or when working with household chemicals. These chemicals can react with the metal, stones/pearls and/or degrade solder joints. Chlorine, especially at high temperatures, can permanently damage or discolor your jewelry. Do not wear gold or silver jewelry while using chlorine bleach or while in a pool or hot tub.
· Remove jewelry, especially rings and bracelets, when doing rough work or working with chemicals, including household cleaning chemicals.
· Remove jewelry before showering. Soap can cause a film to form, making it appear dull and dingy. By preventing the formation of this film, you immediately reduce the frequency with which your pieces will need to be cleaned.
· Store pieces individually, so that they don't knock together and scratch.
· Do not use dip cleaners for jewelry with gemstones/pearls or pieces with a patina.
· Store jewelry individually to prevent scratches.
Sterling silver tarnishes in the presence of common everyday items that contain sulfur, such as leather, rubber, and chlorine. Other elements to be mindful of are air pollutants and salt water. Because these substances cannot be completely avoided, it is recommended that sterling silver be routinely wiped down with a polishing cloth designed for silver use. Goddard’s Silver Polishing Cloths are perfect for Argentium Sterling Silver which is used at Lefler Design Studio. When not in use, store your jewelry individually.
We do not recommend silver polish or dip style cleaning solutions, which may damage gemstones and will remove the antique oxidation that has been intentionally applied to many Lefler Design Studio silver pieces to give them their distinctive look.